Enjoy some relaxing time in the sun with a cuppa tea and a slice of Mandarin, Pistachio & Chickpea Cake!
- 3 mandarins, unpeeled
- 150g pistachio kernels. plus 1 tbsp extra chopped
- 400g tin chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 75g plain flour (or GF plain flour)
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla sugar or dash vanilla essence
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- Place mandarins in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, then drain.
- Cover mandarins with cold water again and return to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45mins, adding more water as necessary.
- Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 170 deg C.
- Lightly grease a 22cm round cake tin and line it with baking paper.
- Cut mandarins into quarters and discard seeds. Process pistachios in a food processor to fine crumbs, remove and set aside.
- Add chickpeas to the food processor and process to fine crumbs.
- Add mandarins and process until smooth.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk the sugar and eggs in a large bowl until thick.
- Add mandarin mixture and combine, then add the ground pistachios, flour, spice, baking powder and stir.
- Spoon batter into the prepared tin and smooth the surface with the back of the spoon.
- Bake for 50mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Set aside to cool for 20mins, then carefully remove from tin and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar, garnished with plain yogurt and berries, and a relaxing cup of tea !