- 350g barley rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 4 large gold beetroot (approx 1kg), lightly roasted then cut into thin wedges
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 400g asparagus, blanched for 2-5mins then trimmed and cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon brown butter:
- 120g unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 small garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200 deg C.
- Add barley and crushed garlic to a saucepan of boiling salted water and cook for 20mins or until tender. Drain.
- Place the beetroot on a large baking tray, drizzle over 1-2tsp of olive oil and season with salt.
- Roast for 25-30mins until tender.
- Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan then add asparagus and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 mins until just tender but still bright green in colour.
- To make the lemon brown butter, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then add sage leaves and swirl around in the butter until they begin to crisp.
- Remove sage leaves from the pan, sprinkle with a little salt and leave to drain on absorbent paper towel.
- Continue to heat the butter until it is browned and smells nutty, then remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Carefully whisk in lemon juice, garlic, mustard and maple syrup and add a pinch of salt.
- Combine the barley, beetroot and asparagus, drizzle over a little olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Arrange on a large serving dish and spoon over the lemon brown butter.
- To serve, sprinkle with the crispy sage leaves and walnuts.